Thursday, July 12, 2007

Barcelona and meaty olives

So we are in the airport and it took a while to get through security. Jess says, "They took a long time looking at my deodorant" and I say yeah me too, that´s because they don´t know what the hell it is!

It has been three days since we were in Barcelona and to be honest, I´m not sure that I remember everything. I do know we kicked the city´s ass. We bought day passes for the metro and really abused them. We got in at about 1 pm and were able to see everything we panned on. Of course, there was one kink with the credit card. For some reason citibank can´t keep the dates right and seem to have to call to make sure I have my card. "Are you in posession of your card, Mr. Mc.Neill?" MMMmm yeah, it´s in my hand - that´s how I got the number to call you.

Anyway we ran to the hostel so we could get out and do all the things that we wanted to. We walked basically the whole friggin city to look at Gaudi architecture. (This after realizing that the map was not printed to show north at the top). He did some really cool and funky stuff. So we checked out the outside of one building that looked like waves and the railings seaweed, then we checked out La Sagrada Familia - which is the craziest church you have every seen.
It was started in like 1886 and they have decided to finish it now. The inside is completely undone but the outside is friggin awesome. I´m not sure I even know how to describe the outside but the inside, the pillars look like trees and then at the top it looks like, well, treetops.






From there we headed over to Parc Guell, which is a park he designed and intented to be a garden community for the elite of the city. That never happened so it became a park. There are two little houses that look like gingerbread houses and there is a square or terrace above them. In there, the benches are all ceramic tiles. At some point, he had workers go through the city and collect all the broken plates, and ceramics and he used them to make patterns on a number of the benches - they look really cool and they´re actually comfortable. Well comfortable if you are of normal size - Jess complained that they fell in a weird spot on her back.

After that, I think, is when we took the funicular up on Montjiuc - which is literally the Mount of the Jews. I think it was the Jewish section but I don´t remember. We had awesome views of the entire city, took a peek at the castle and then headed back down for dinner.

We ended up at some square and got some food. We watched the dogs run around the square one trying to dominate a few of the others - over and over again. Jess ordered some olives as an appetizer. I ate one and she asked me how it was and I thought to myself, hmmm, kinda meaty for an olive, but didn´t think anything of it. Jess ate one, maybe three and decided to ask the waiter if something was in it. Yep, there sure was. First we thought it was chicken but it turned out to be fish. So, I got a plate of olives to eat as well with my dinner. We ate the rest of our meal, she with no other intrusions of meat and the dogs with no other intrusions on each other.

The next morning we headed to FC Barcelona to get one or two things and check out the stadium which seats 120,000 as opposed to 45 at Anfield. We headed to the airport to catch our flight to Grenada.

1 comment:

M&D said...

WE LOOKED FOR YOU ON TV. THEY HAD THE RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPLOMA. WHERE WERE YOU?
NO WONDER IT WAS HARD TO DESCRIBE LA SAGRADA FAMILIA! WENT ON WEB AND SAW IT AND PARC GUELL. DON'T KNOW IF I LIKED IT OR NOT BUT IT WAS INTERESTING AND IMAGINATIVE. DOES HIS NAME GAUDI MEAN GAUDY IN ENGLISH? DO YOU NEED TO SPEAK MUCH SPANISH? SO, MEATY OLIVES ARE NOT MEAT INSIDE BUT FISH! WHAT KIND? DID IT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN? :+]
CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR ABOUT LISBON.
MISS & LOVE YOU BOTH, XOXO M&D